New Sussex Sculpture
A striking new public sculpture is being created to commemorate Christ’s Hospital’s 350 years in the City of London (1552-1902).
Christ’s Hospital was founded in the City 465 years ago and moved to Horsham in 1902. The new bronze sculpture, 2.4m long and 1.5m high, will be positioned close to where Christ’s Hospital was originally founded in Newgate Street. Currently, the only permanent acknowledgement of its occupation of the site for such a long period of time is a small blue plaque.
The sculpture will be very visible to the passer-by positioned on the boundary wall of Christchurch Greyfriars Church Garden. The design will give ‘life’ to the essence of Christ’s Hospital and its vision. It will reflect themes relating to the past generations of children and depict children marching in their famous Tudor uniform, a tradition that is part of the daily life of the pupils today. The modern day school remains true to its original vision of providing education for children of promise regardless of means.
The back of the sculpture facing the garden will feature a copper plate drawing of the Priory buildings before Christ’s Hospital began to occupy the site in 1552, coupled with an extract from a poem by former pupil, Samuel Taylor Coleridge.
The artist, Andrew Brown, a renowned sculptor with many public commissions in his portfolio, was selected following an open competition organised by the City of London Corporation. Andrew is currently working on the sculpture at his studio in Billingshurst, West Sussex. Pupils were photographed as models for the maquette and then again for the final piece.
The sculpture will be moved to a foundry in London in the summer and is planned to be installed this September.
This striking sculpture serves as recognition of Christ’s Hospital’s relationship with the City which remains active today. The project has attracted considerable interest: https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/about-ch/sculpture-in-the-city/